Epidemiological characteristics and diagnostic approach in patients admitted to the emergency room for transient loos of consciousness: Group for Syncope Study in the Emergency Room (GESINUR) study

Baron Esquivias, Gonzalo and Martínez Alday, Jesús and Martín, Alfonso and Moya, Ángel and García Civera, Roberto and López Chicharro, María Paz and Martín Mendez, María and Archo, Carmen del and Laguna, Pedro (2010). Epidemiological characteristics and diagnostic approach in patients admitted to the emergency room for transient loos of consciousness: Group for Syncope Study in the Emergency Room (GESINUR) study. "Europace", v. 12 (n. 6); pp. 869-876. ISSN 1099-5129. https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/euq018.

Description

Title: Epidemiological characteristics and diagnostic approach in patients admitted to the emergency room for transient loos of consciousness: Group for Syncope Study in the Emergency Room (GESINUR) study
Author/s:
  • Baron Esquivias, Gonzalo
  • Martínez Alday, Jesús
  • Martín, Alfonso
  • Moya, Ángel
  • García Civera, Roberto
  • López Chicharro, María Paz
  • Martín Mendez, María
  • Archo, Carmen del
  • Laguna, Pedro
Item Type: Article
Título de Revista/Publicación: Europace
Date: June 2010
ISSN: 1099-5129
Volume: 12
Subjects:
Freetext Keywords: Syncope, Emergency department, Transient loss of consciousness
Faculty: E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación (UPM)
Department: Otro
Creative Commons Licenses: Recognition - No derivative works - Non commercial

Full text

[img]
Preview
PDF - Requires a PDF viewer, such as GSview, Xpdf or Adobe Acrobat Reader
Download (3MB) | Preview

Abstract

Aims: To assess the clinical presentation and acute management of patients with transient loss of consciousness (T-LOC) in the emergency department (ED). Methods and results: A multi-centre prospective observational study was carried out in 19 Spanish hospitals over 1 month. The patients included were 14 years old and were admitted to the ED because of an episode of T-LOC. Questionnaires and corresponding electrocardiograms (ECGs) were reviewed by a Steering Committee (SC) to unify diagnostic criteria, evaluate adherence to guidelines, and diagnose correctly the ECGs. We included 1419 patients (prevalence, 1.14%).ECG was performed in 1335 patients (94%) in the ED: 498 (37.3%) ECGs were classified as abnormal. The positive diagnostic yield ranged from 0% for the chest X-ray to 12% for the orthostatic test. In the ED, 1217 (86%) patients received a final diagnosis of syncope, whereas the remaining 202 (14%) were diagnosed of non-syncopal transient lossof consciousness (NST-LOC). After final review by the SC, 1080 patients (76%) were diagnosed of syncope, whereas 339 (24%) were diagnosed of NST-LOC (P , 0.001). Syncope was diagnosed correctly in 84% of patients. Only 25% of patients with T-LOC were admitted to hospitals. Conclusion Adherence to clinical guidelines for syncope management was low; many diagnostic tests were performed with low diagnostic yield. Important differences were observed between syncope diagnoses at the ED and by SC decision.

More information

Item ID: 16590
DC Identifier: http://oa.upm.es/16590/
OAI Identifier: oai:oa.upm.es:16590
DOI: 10.1093/europace/euq018
Official URL: http://europace.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2010/04/08/europace.euq018
Deposited by: Memoria Investigacion
Deposited on: 22 Jul 2013 17:14
Last Modified: 21 Apr 2016 16:55
  • Logo InvestigaM (UPM)
  • Logo GEOUP4
  • Logo Open Access
  • Open Access
  • Logo Sherpa/Romeo
    Check whether the anglo-saxon journal in which you have published an article allows you to also publish it under open access.
  • Logo Dulcinea
    Check whether the spanish journal in which you have published an article allows you to also publish it under open access.
  • Logo de Recolecta
  • Logo del Observatorio I+D+i UPM
  • Logo de OpenCourseWare UPM