The Development of an Empirical Workflow Process for Mapping Affected Communities of the Hurricane Felix, Nicaragua, 2007

Gutierrez Corea, Federico Vladimir; Strauch, Wilfried; Wachowicz, Monica y Bernabe Poveda, Miguel Angel (2009). The Development of an Empirical Workflow Process for Mapping Affected Communities of the Hurricane Felix, Nicaragua, 2007. En: "5th Gi4DM Conference: Cartography and Geoinformatics for Early Warning and Emergency Management: Towards Better Solutions, 2009", January 19-22, 2009, Prague, Czech Republic. ISBN 978-80-210-4796-9.

Descripción

Título: The Development of an Empirical Workflow Process for Mapping Affected Communities of the Hurricane Felix, Nicaragua, 2007
Autor/es:
  • Gutierrez Corea, Federico Vladimir
  • Strauch, Wilfried
  • Wachowicz, Monica
  • Bernabe Poveda, Miguel Angel
Tipo de Documento: Ponencia en Congreso o Jornada (Artículo)
Título del Evento: 5th Gi4DM Conference: Cartography and Geoinformatics for Early Warning and Emergency Management: Towards Better Solutions, 2009
Fechas del Evento: January 19-22, 2009
Lugar del Evento: Prague, Czech Republic
Título del Libro: Proceedings of the 5th Gi4DM Conference: Cartography and Geoinformatics for Early Warning and Emergency Management: Towards Better Solutions
Fecha: Enero 2009
ISBN: 978-80-210-4796-9
Materias:
Palabras Clave Informales: Hurricane Felix, GIS, Workflow, Process
Escuela: E.T.S.I. en Topografía, Geodesia y Cartografía (UPM)
Departamento: Ingeniería Topográfica y Cartografía [hasta 2014]
Licencias Creative Commons: Reconocimiento - Sin obra derivada - No comercial

Texto completo

[img]
Vista Previa
PDF (Document Portable Format) - Se necesita un visor de ficheros PDF, como GSview, Xpdf o Adobe Acrobat Reader
Descargar (2MB) | Vista Previa

Resumen

In September 2007, the Hurricane Felix devastated the North-eastern of Nicaragua, near the Caribbean coast. The hurricane heavily affected about 400 communities from a total of 777 registered in this region. As part of the post-disaster relief measures, INETER (The National Geosciences Institute) in collaboration with other Nicaraguan agencies was requested to elaborate a GIS-based inventory for the analysis of the impact of the hurricane. The information about the affected communities by Hurricane Felix was gathered by the Civil Defence of the Nicaraguan Army. Unfortunate, the field staff had no GPS available, and in the best cases, the national topographic maps have been used to reference the affected settlements. Problems of georeferencing made it necessary to create an empirical workflow process in order to produce the affectation maps using several information sources. This paper describes the approach developed to design a workflow that allows the georeferencing of 64% of the reported sites. The remaining 36% were at least identified as belonging to a certain community in or near the affectation zone indicated.

Más información

ID de Registro: 7185
Identificador DC: http://oa.upm.es/7185/
Identificador OAI: oai:oa.upm.es:7185
Depositado por: PIF Federico Vladimir Gutierrez Corea
Depositado el: 19 May 2011 07:47
Ultima Modificación: 20 Abr 2016 16:22
  • Open Access
  • Open Access
  • Sherpa-Romeo
    Compruebe si la revista anglosajona en la que ha publicado un artículo permite también su publicación en abierto.
  • Dulcinea
    Compruebe si la revista española en la que ha publicado un artículo permite también su publicación en abierto.
  • Recolecta
  • e-ciencia
  • Observatorio I+D+i UPM
  • OpenCourseWare UPM